Get FREE Estimates On Your Project
Maintaining Your Home's Roof
Editor In Chief, United Home Improvement
Depending on what your roof is constructed of, your level of
maintenance will change but it is extremely important that all roof
systems be checked and maintained regularly. Proper maintenance will
ensure that your roof remain in good shape throughout its expected
lifespan. Professionals suggest performing semi-annual inspections
to check for a build up of debris, damage from outside elements, and
Roofing maintenance can be easy and efficient by following a few
simply guidelines. Regardless of what kind of roof you have, there
are general tips that can make maintenance painless and save you
money in the future. By increasing the longevity of your roof, you
are saving yourself much energy and unneeded stress related to roof
repairs and replacement.
Tips on preventative maintenance:
• Remove all debris including leaves, small branches, and dirt from
the surface of your roof. Make sure to check in all roof
• Install zinc strips to prevent and remove any algae or moss.
• Clean out gutters and test downspouts to make sure they are
• Check all roof flashings for rust damage, holes, warps or
penetrations that may or may not turn into leaks. Seal and secure
• Trim down any tree branches and other vegetation they may be
hanging over your roof.
• Repair and place any broken or missing shingles, tiles, or shakes.
• Scrape and get rid of any crinkled caulking or sealant that is
fractured and damaged. Reapply if necessary.
• Check the edges of the roof for wind damage and search for cracks
that may be related to structural movements.