Get FREE Estimates On Your Project
Caring For Your Oriental Rug
Editor In Chief, United Home Improvement
Oriental carpets are a valuable part of many people's homes. Whether
they were inherited from the family, specially picked out as a
collector's piece, or simply purchased for aesthetic reasons, it is
important to take the time to maintain your oriental carpet.
Oriental carpets require unique cleaning and maintenance in order to
ensure its longevity. There are several helpful tips that you can
follow to ensure your investment.
Tips for caring for your Oriental Carpet:
• Invest in rug pads. Rug pads serve as a defense for keeping a
carpet in place and discouraging uneven wear.
• If placing furniture on an oriental carpet, be sure to use
furniture slides, especially on areas that receive heavy wear.
• Give your rug a good shake before regular vacuuming. You can also
try using an old fashion rug beater or tool of similar fashion.
• Depending on the amount of wear your rug receives, be sure to air
it out on regular intervals. You can do this by hanging it on a
clothes line or laying it outside on a dry sunny day.
• Regularly inspect the underside of oriental carpets for signs of
moths and damage.
• Rotate the position of your carpet. If certain areas are showing
signs of wear and tear, try placing these areas under furniture and
away from heavy traffic.
• Small rugs can be hand washed with soap and water. Larger rugs can
be spread out on a nice day and cleaned with a mix of wool detergent
and cold water. For tough stains, always use a soft brush to work
out the stain. Rinse thoroughly. Make sure the rug has completely
dried before resuming its position in your home.
• If you notice that your rug is damaged, visit a qualified rug
re-weaver. Professionals will match wool colors and the exact type
If you care for an oriental carpet appropriately, the incomparable
elegance and warmth it gives to a room, as well as its value, are
vast. If the rug has been passed down through generations, patiently
sought out by interest, or purchased on simple good taste, it's
still only sensible to ensure your treasure is adequately