Get FREE Estimates On Your Project
How To Choose Exterior Paint
Editor In Chief, United Home Improvement
Deciding on the exterior color scheme of your home can often
be a daunting task. As if deciding on the type of paint and the
person to do the job wasn't bad enough, now you have to consider the
different shades of color you would like to have on your trims, and
accents on doors and railings.
Here are some factors that should be considered before selecting
your final color scheme.
• If you are repainting an older home, you have a few options. You
can either decide to bring back the original color, by having a
professional analyze old paint chips, or you can modernize your old
architecture with new bright colors.
• Before drastically changing your color scheme, try using computer
imaging software to get an idea of what the final finish will look
• Compare you color ideas with surrounding neighbors. Not only is
this a great way to get new ideas, but it is also recommended that
you choose colors that are compatible with your surroundings.
• Always consider the existing colors of your home. Consider the
color of your roof, railings and siding that may remain the same
color. Thinking of colors that will blend well with what is already
there will help you in your decision making.
• Most paint manufacturers will group complimentary colors on
pallets to help you select trim and accent colors.
• Pay attention to harmony and contrast. Architectural details will
stand out more with contrasting colors. However, extreme contrasts
will take the focus away from details.
• Lighter colors create the illusion of a larger house, while darker
colors tend to make the house appear smaller. Accenting with darker
colors will make your home stand out, without visually reducing it